Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Week 8: New Collaborations

Last week Cliff and I spoke with the Chicago Technology Cooperative, whom I mentioned in my previous post. They said they liked the sounds of our project and are interested in collaborating with us, so we talked about how that might happen. They indicated they would be able to come to Iowa City to conduct a Drupal training, and since they cater to nonprofits their rates are fairly reasonable, so we are pursuing that option. They may also consult with us remotely on development of the CIP portal. I'm glad we happened to stumble upon their website.

I also met with Jim Elmborg this week to discuss Drupal and getting SLIS involved in the training. He offered to help with planning, funding, and recruiting attendees from other departments, which will be a big help and gets us one step closer to getting the training off the ground.

Cliff and I have also been discussing driving to Chicago for Drupal Camp, which is a conference being held Oct. 24-25. I've emailed other staff at Widernet to see if we could get a group together and take a university van. It's a big maybe, but it would be a good way to learn about Drupal and network with the Drupal community (as well as meet the Chicago Tech people, who will be attending).