Saturday, October 27, 2007

Week 9: Re-Assessing Expectations

I have a lot of catching up to do. Due to an illness last week, I did not get in a full 20 hours again. I plan to work a few days over Thanksgiving break to make up this time, since we have the entire week off from school.

The good news is that I now have 24 pamphlets digitized. The bad news is that my target number of 50 may be unattainable at this point. Most of the interesting pamphlets are fairly long, in the 20-30 page range, and reformatting them is a fairly slow process. I am trying to find very short pamphlets to increase the total number, but they seem to be in the minority for the time period I am dealing with. I spoke with Nicki about this, and she is fine with scaling back the original goal of 50 and just getting done whatever I can. I would like to include as many as possible though, and am hoping to end up with at least 30-35.

I guess this is what Kelly Smith meant when she talked about project objectives being an "iterative process" during her presentation in seminar the other week. With this project being very time-limited, it is difficult to gauge all the variables that will effect the final outcome (such as missing work). I certainly have a more realistic idea now of what I can reasonably expect to accomplish by the end of the semester, but even that may be revised a month (or a week) from now.

So, now that I have a reasonable number of documents digitized, it is time to re-focus on other tasks. Specifically, I will be meeting with Nicki and the DLS web designer to discuss web interface at the end of the week. I need to put my ideas down on paper and come up with a prototype to show them. Also, this week I plan to return to the research I had been working on previously, which has been on the back burner for a while now, so I can start writing a first draft of the text I want to include with the collection. I contacted a professor at the U of I who has a research interest in food, in case there is a possibility for collaboration there. No word yet, but if that doesn't pan out at least it will help get the word out about the collection to potential users.